Friday, February 19, 2010

Flashback Friday: Soccer Team Sweethearts

I am participating in Flashback Friday again after a few weeks break.  If you would like to participate or visit the host of this awesome weekly event, then go on over to Christopher & Tia. :)  Tia: I know this week's theme is supposed to be pets, but other than a hedgehog named Elmer and some cats that lived with my grandparents, I haven't had any other pets and I don't think I have any pictures of any pets.  So, I'm forced to go in a different direction.

The following picture is of John and me on a soccer field in the spring of 1994 (we were seven) - it was referenced in a previous blog post about our love story:

 

Long story short: John moved to the small town I grew up in at the beginning of seventh grade and that is when we first met (or so we thought).  We became best friends, then high school sweethearts, and eventually husband & wife.  Two weeks before our wedding, we were at his parents' house going through boxes stuffed with random photos when I came across the picture above.  It is the craziest feeling to come across your face in a photo from twelve years before in a place you would never expect to see it.  Back when we were seven, John ended up staying temporarily with his grandparents, mom, and little brother for a couple of months in the next town over while his dad went to Indonesia to get settled into a new job and find a house for all of them.  During those couple of months, John ended up joining a soccer team with his cousin (who grew up in the same town I did).  It was the very same soccer team I was on, which we hadn't known until we found this picture.  The craziest part for both of us wasn't that we were on a soccer team together when we were seven and didn't know it (though that was pretty crazy too), but rather that the only picture that John's mom had in this box of him on this soccer team was the photo above.  The photo that only had him and me on a soccer field.  No other kids - just us.  We think that is pretty darn crazy that we didn't even know we knew each other five years before we met in the seventh grade, but were also captured on film together.  It was a very uplifting photo to find two weeks before our wedding.  We were already more than confident that we were meant to be together, but this photo was kind of like a little bonus or gift from God that made us smile, and continues to make us smile when we look at it. :)
 ***

On another note: we made Eggplant Parmesan tonight and it was delicious! :)  We got the recipe from our friend Kate from A Kate Day - she used to work at The Scoop; an awesome ice cream shop that my cousin and his wife own back home.  She is a really creative person, so if you have some time, check out her blog. :)  (Click on the link to see the recipe for the Eggplant Parmesan)  The picture below is our meal from tonight - my only suggestion would be to cut the rinds off or peel ahead of time, since the rind can get a little too chewy.  Other than that, it was really delicious.  

 

One last thing: "Aye 'oo" = "I love you" in Johnny-speak. :)  It's his new favorite phrase to say to me, which is ridiculously adorable!
***

***Title credit goes to John - he was pretty excited about it too. :)

4 comments:

Tia Colleen said...

That picture is so awesome. What a great story.

Christopher and I had talked on aim before we met. We both had profiles on this website called "makeoutclub"... it wasn't quite as bad at it sounds, but... anyways, we had chatted on there years before we met, and then one night out of nowhere, we went and looked up our old profiles, and realized that we had talked to each other, after seeing the pictures. So funny.

soul_searching_mama said...

That is an awesome story, Tia! :) I love stories where the couple ends up together and then realizes they knew each other before they officially met. And that website sounds...interesting. hee hee. ;) I'm sure it was JUST as bad as it sounds! lol

Unknown said...

I love the story behind that picture! Signs like that picture and the joined wedding rings at your bridal shower are just proof that your marriage is truly blessed by God! Love, Mom

soul_searching_mama said...

I totally forgot about the joined wedding rings - thanks for the reminder. :) Love you!