Saturday, February 20, 2010

Random

 
>Click here for photo origin<

Today I took some "me" time and went out with my friend Wemi (the mom from the zoo playdate earlier this week).  We met at the Cherry Creek Mall and went to the new movie Valentine's Day.  John was nice enough to not only watch Johnny for a couple of hours so I could go, but he also drove me to the mall and picked me up because of the snow.  :)  I love my husband.  The movie was really really good - I loved it!  All of the stories and characters were really well done and I think the movie did a great job of showing all facets of love, and realistic love at that.  The message of the movie could basically be characterized as "love comes in all packages and loving someone means loving them even when they aren't easy to love".  My favorite character/storyline in the movie was the one surrounding Julia Roberts.  When you see the movie, you will understand why - it is very touching.  All of the sub-plots were really wonderful, though.  I am really happy that I was able to go and watch this movie (the last time I went to a movie that wasn't the Princess & the Frog disaster outing was this last summer before we moved - for heaven's sake, I haven't even seen New Moon yet!) rather than waiting until it comes out on Netflix.  I wish I could have gone to the movies with John, but that isn't feasible right now since we have Johnny 24/7.  Once I got home I felt revitalized - very important when you are home with a two year old 24/7 and a great deal of that time is spent without your spouse.  I love my son dearly, but sometimes I just need some time to not have little hands grabbing at me or a small child throwing tantrums over something like mommy telling him not to climb precariously on top of furniture.  :)  

When I got home, Johnny was excited to see me and we played for a little bit before his nap.  Once it was time for nap, however, my sweet little boy turned into a monster.  He fought John and I for half an hour until he finally drifted off to sleep.  He is always a million times sweeter and more peaceful when he's asleep. Go figure.

John wanted me to take a picture of his little foot poking out of our comforter (it reminds me of his little infant baby feet):

 

The Terrible Two looking quite peaceful in slumber:

 

After Johnny was down for a nap, John and I decided to watch a couple of our Netflix movies.  The first move was called Local Color - a small independent film that we both enjoyed.  A lot of the principles I learned in a philosophy of art class I took at GU seemed to be incorporated into this story about a seasoned artist teaching a young man interested in learning to paint (based on a true story).  The second movie we watched was Fireproof - this was our third time watching this profoundly amazing movie, starring Kirk Cameron.  If you haven't watched this movie, you need to do it as soon as possible.  I think this sort of movie is what our country needs in terms of teaching people what true love is and what makes a strong and lasting marriage.  Love is a decision, not a feeling.  Whether you are single, happily married, in a difficult marriage, divorced, or whatever, you can learn important things about love from this movie.  The budget for this movie was not very big, so some of the acting in the movie is not the greatest, but the dialogue and the messages in the movie are very profound.  John and I went and saw this movie on its opening night in movie theaters and we loved it.  We have watched it on Netflix twice since then, and we hope to own it on DVD at some point as well. 

I also got my birthday gift from John today in the mail!  He wasn't supposed to get me a gift for my birthday, but the stinker did it anyway.  Luckily it was something he wanted too.  He bought me a Cuisinart Griddler Junior - now I can grill indoors and make paninis!!!  John and I love paninis, but had no way to really make them at home; nor did we have any way to grill anything, so this is the perfect multipurpose kitchen gadget for us.  We are very excited to use it for the first time! :) 

 

The following are pictures of some clothes I got for Johnny today at Gymboree after the movie and while I was waiting for John to come pick me up.  They had some great sales going on and some even better sales racks with last season's clothes being cycling out.  The reason I am posting these pictures is for two reasons: 1) they are so stinkin' cute, and 2) I got amazing deals on them, and I am really excited about that. :)  They also have this really adorable newsboy-cap that I want to get Johnny at some point this spring!

 
(The top left is a really nice knit zip-up sweater, the top right is a long-sleeved polo shirt, and the bottom is a long-sleeved onesie with penguins.  All of these were 60% off.)

 
(Little underwear for when we potty train Johnny & an adorable shirt. Also on sale.)

This was a nursing cover that I got for free through Udder Covers a month ago and finally got in the mail (only had to pay for S&H).  A great deal for something that we will definitely get some use out of with future children. :)  I didn't have one with Johnny and I remember how awful it was trying to breastfeed Johnny and keep a receiving blanket up where it would cover us discreetly.  Once I learn to use my sewing machine, I hope to make some other ones for myself, since they wouldn't be hard to make.

 


Johnny being adorable:

*On Thursday, Johnny was playing with two of his scary-looking dragons.  He was having them talk to each other and they each had their own gibberish voice - one was deeper and one higher.  Each one was talking and growling at each other and he'd open and close their mouths every now and then too.  It was really cute, but the sweetest part was when I was trying to figure out what they were talking about and realized that he was kept calling the bigger one "mama" and the little one "baby" (pronounced "bebe").  :)

*This morning John was putting trying to put Johnny's shoes on him.  While John was untying the shoes,  Johnny kept lifting his little feet up in the air one at a time and saying "bye-bye. byeeeee."  in a sweet voice over and over again to his feet until they went into their respective shoes.   He likes to say "bye" to anybody if they walk away from him or if people in a movie are leaving (he also likes to shush people too now, thanks to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs), but this was the first time that he ever said "bye" to his feet before they went into their shoes.  Too cute for his own good?  I think so. :)

*This evening Johnny was sitting on his daddy's lap, when all of a sudden he put his two pointer fingers up against both sides of his forehead (like horns) and started wiggling his fingers wildly.  It was so random and hilarious that John and I burst out laughing.  We have no idea where he learned this or anything.  He has never done this before, but now if you put your fingers up to your forehead, he'll do it and wiggle his fingers.  Unless you take a camera out in an attempt to take a picture of it...then he'll scream and be stubborn and not do it until the camera goes back in its case.  *sigh*  

  



3 comments:

Tia Colleen said...

Oh YAY for getting out of the house and getting some girl time to watch a movie!

and HURRAH for that awesome griddle.

soul_searching_mama said...

Thanks! :) I hope you get a girls' time out soon too - with everything you're dealing with right now, you need it!

Unknown said...

Glad you got some "you time", and I love the picture of Johnny's foot peeking out of the blanket. I like the story about him saying goodbye to his feet. Love, Mom