Sunday, January 24, 2010

Johnny Talk

The following are common words or phrases that Johnny likes to say on a daily basis and are the easiest to decipher.  The boy loves to talk all the time - whole conversations and stories.  If only he would enunciate! :)  I'm sure once he does realize the wonderful art of talking and the many benefits that come with having mommy understand what he is saying/asking, I will not be able to get him to be quiet.  And then I will miss the days of gibberish and cute baby talk.  

Johnny understands most everything that is said to him, and will answer questions.  He will follow instructions, including specific instructions.  Sometimes it will surprise us when he understands something.  We also know that he knows lots of words, because sometimes he will slip up and use new ones out of the blue.  Then they will disappear back into the mind of Johnny.  We're waiting patiently for him to start talking consistently.  I think it is only a matter of time before he realizes he will get a lot more accomplished if he starts speaking coherently.  As of now, he tries to get by with the minimum amount of words needed to get what he wants.  Stubborn, stubborn little boy.  He is most talented at sounds, however: growling, roaring, robotic sounds, car sounds, etc. { I think these come naturally, by way of the Y chromosome.}
In Johnny Talk, there are three tones to words: 
1) a sweet, soft, innocent little voice; 2) a matter-of-fact voice, which he uses oddly enough for questions, in addition to answering yes or no; and 3) a deep voice, usually accented with a little finger poking at me in the air, that is reserved when he is telling me something very serious or scolding me for something that is unknown to me because he is usually talking quickly in his own language.


(He likes to read in the corner of his room in his chair.  I have plans to make this a reading nook for him, with a fabric bookshelf next to his chair where I can rotate books each week for him to read when he wants to have some quiet time alone.  This isn't replacing the time where we read to him, however.)
 
Common Words/phrases: 

*yeah (very matter of fact, and in a semi-deep voice) = yes
*wha? = what?
*out (and sometimes ow) = ouch  {I have no clue why he puts a 't' at the end of this, but he doesn't listen to me and continues to say it.}
*out =out {For the rare times when he actually means "out" rather than "ouch".  Usually repeats it more often on days when he hears me say it a lot...like "Johnny get out of our room", "Johnny get out of the pantry", "Daddy just has to go out for a bit, but he will be back soon".}
*byeeee (he drags out the word; deep voice) = bye  {Always accompanied by a wave, and often said randomly throughout the day}
*leg do (his very deep voice) = let go {He says this a lot, if I try to touch a toy he is holding or take something from him that he isn't allowed to play with.}
*day doo/ank you (kind of a sing-song voice) = thank you {By far the phrase he says the most.  If I do anything for him, he says thank you, which is actually really adorable. :)}
*pea = please
*ess you/atoo = bless you {Said when anyone sneezes.  It used to always be "atoo", which I think was his version of a sneeze, since he always heard us say something after a sneeze.  Lately it is a mixture of "atoo" and "ess you".  I just think it is cute that he says things like this after people sneeze.}
*why? (said very short, he doesn't hold the "y" sound for very long) = why? {Usually when I tell him he can't do something.  He keeps asking it until eventually I can't help but smile - usually after I have explained "why" fifteen times.}
*na-na = banana {His very favorite fruit.  Though he loves all fruit.}
*no (said in mean, deep voice) = no {He reserves this for when he wants to argue, not when actually answering a question.  If you ask him a question, like would you like a banana?  He will either say "yeah" or "ummm".  Ummm almost always means "no".}
*mo' = more  {Sometimes there is a "please" at the end; like "mo' pea".  We don't hear this one that often, because usually he doesn't ask for more food, but sometimes he does.}
*uppa = up {Said in reference to his new favorite movie, "Up".  Usually repeated a bunch when the house first starts floating up the sky attached to balloons, and accompanied with "wow".}
*wow! (said enthusiastically) = wow {One of his favorite words, and will repeat it over and over when he sees something he thinks is impressive.}
*mama {His name for me.  Usually reserved only for when he desperately wants something or is crying inconsolably.}
*daddeeee {His name for John.  Said frequently, but usually not when his daddy is around.  More throughout the day, as if to ask where daddy is.}
*appuh = apple {Another favorite fruit.}
*uh-oh! = uh oh {Said enthusiastically and on repeat until someone acknowledges him by responding with "uh oh".  He says this if he drops anything, spills anything, sees anyone else drop anything, or if anything appears out of place to him. This boy cracks me up sometimes.}
*mmmmmm! = yum {Also said enthusiastically, and usually with licking of the lips.  He says this for most foods that he enjoys...with every bite.  It goes something like this: *bite* mmmmmm! (waits for acknowledgment) *bite* mmmmmm! (waits for acknowledgment).  I think he draws the word out for effect - he likes to be dramatic.}
*"daddee opuh dis NOW!" = "Daddy, open this NOW!" {The longest sentence he has ever said where it was extremely clear what was being said.  This was blurted out of the blue several months ago when he wanted his daddy to open something for him.  The "now" was said very angrily.  We now are very confident that he knows how to say a lot more than he lets on.}
*shhh = shhh {Said with a lot of emphasis, with a finger to his lips, and usually because he is upset that I tried to shhh him minutes before.} 
*mmm-wah! {What he says when he wants kisses. Usually said after he grabs my face and looks me in the eyes.  He says it, and then says it again when he gives me a kiss.  I usually get kisses in groups of three or four.}
*There are lots of other words that he has said as well, but he usually only says it once or a few times, like "giraffe", "monkey", "doggy", "ball", "mine", "wuv you" (love you), etc.  The words/phrases listed above are the most frequent.  For the last month he will sometimes say "ook" when we are reading books together, but it hasn't become a frequent word yet.  As soon as I get excited that he used a new word, he immediately clams up and won't repeat it for as long as he wants.  Like I said above - very stubborn.  I'm sure there are other words he says that I forgot to list, but I can't really think clearly right now (difficult when you have a little boy trying to sit right on your face), so I'm bound to have missed something. :)

A semi-recent question & answer conversation with Johnny:

(me): "Johnny, are you cute?"
(Johnny): "yeah."  {starts playing with toys again.}
(me): "Johnny, are you a dinosaur?"
(J): "yeah." {very matter-of-fact; pauses to look at me while he says it, then commences with play}
(me): "Johnny, are you a monkey?"
(J): "ummm" {gives me a incredulous look, utters this, and then sighs before he starts playing again.  Remember, "ummm" means "no".} 

So, yeah, I am the mama of a monster. :) I love him so!

3 comments:

They call me mommy... said...

He is so preciuos!i love reading the toddler babble! too cute!

Unknown said...

I barely made it in the door from work tonight, and your Dad was already telling me about your blog. He was sooo excited by this one. He said it was too cute hearing all of the words that Johnny is saying and he said he laughed a lot while reading it. I loved it as well! One of the best because it gives us a glimpse into what Johnny is thinking. Love, Mom

soul_searching_mama said...

Thanks Sasha! Thanks Mom! I just wanted to record how Johnny talks now before he starts talking a whole bunch and I can't remember how he used to say it. :D