I cannot remember where I got this recipe, but I kind of think I might have gotten it from someone's post on CafeMom. Just so everyone knows, I did not come up with this recipe on my own. We made this recipe last week for the first time - our review will follow the recipe. {Also, no picture this time.}
Ingredients
1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup chunky or smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
3 T brown sugar
2 T rice vinegar
2 t grated, peeled fresh ginger
2 t chile paste w/ garlic {can use any type, check ethnic aisle}
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz uncooked whole wheat angel hair pasta
1 lb firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
1 cup (2 in) sliced green onions
1 cup shredded carrot
Directions
Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan.
Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently.
Remove from heat.
Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat.
Add tofu, onions and carrots to the pasta while boiling.
Drain.
Place pasta mixture in large bowl.
Add peanut butter mixture.
Toss gently.
Serve.
***
What we thought: First of all, you should double the sauce in the recipe above, so there is actually enough to cover all the noodles and make it creamier. Also, it is meant to be served over broccoli, but you can eat it with just the pasta, if you want. Now, for our opinions of the dish...John loved it and I hated it. If you like Thai food, particularly peanut sauce, then you will love this dish. You can omit the tofu if you desire - I actually forgot that I gag when trying to eat cubed tofu, because it appears to be cubed chicken when you cook it, but jiggles and is soft. Yuck. I couldn't get past one bite. For some reason when I pictured this dish I pictured a creamy peanut type mixture with pasta (I don't know why THAT sounded appealing, but I'm a dork and I'm coming to accept myself)...not peanut sauce, as in Thai peanut sauce. I loathe Thai peanut sauce. So, basically, I was a dork and made a meal that I did not like. Poor John, though, because he fell in love with it and I will probably never make it again. But for the rest of you out there, if you like Thai food, then you'll love this dish, which is a healthier version. :)

3 comments:
Sounds Yummy!
Your Dad made it the same day that you posted the recipe. But surprise, suprise, he made it with chicken breast and never even CONSIDERED ruining the dish with TOFU! Yuck!!! Of course since both your Dad and I love peanut sauce and Thai food is probably one of our favorite ethnic type foods, we loved the dish. He plans on making it again definitely. Let John know that we can have that dish when you come to visit over spring break. Love, Mom
Great... :D
Post a Comment