Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mother's Night Out: Bowling!

We have lived in Denver for five months.  I have met two people.  You may remember Wemi and Konstance from the play date at the Flat Irons Mall when we had only been in Denver for two weeks.  We have stayed in touch online but haven't actually been able to get together for a play date since the first time we met in September.  Needless to say, I was long overdue to meet some other moms in the area and to actually get to go out and do something fun...without my adorable two year old (who also drives me crazy part of the time).  I am also part of a Denver play date group of moms online and a group of these moms planned to go bowling for Mother's Night Out (MNO) in January, and I thought that was the perfect outing to meet them all and catch up with Wemi and Konstance!  

(me, Wemi, Konstance, and Jessica)

(That Konstance, she's crazy. hee hee)
  The bowling alley was in Northglenn, outside of Denver, and John drove me.  It really wouldn't be a good plan for me to drive someplace unfamiliar (particularly if it involves getting on the freeway) in the dark.  He also picked me up when I was done.  What a sweet guy! :) I met (or met again) a lot of great women: Wemi, Konstance, Jessica, Kristin, Jenny, Paige, Cheryl, Lyn, and Tracey!  I hope to meet them again for a future MNO. :)  The entire evening lasted almost three hours.  We rented two lanes and everyone mostly enjoyed the conversation and attempted to bowl without embarrassing ourselves.  Or at least I did.  For three quarters of the evening, I was using the wrong fingers to bowl and ended up with fairly consistent scores of gutter balls and very low scores (I did get one strike in the first game!).  I also ended up with very sore fingers and after using a ball that felt really really heavy, I figured out that it was a million times easier (and lighter) if you use the right fingers.  Imagine that!  Everyone got a good laugh out of my mistake. ;)  It was pretty funny, I'll admit.  I was one of two moms that didn't consume alcohol, so you can imagine that there was a great deal of laughs and interesting conversations with those that did have alcohol (ahem, Konstance).  :)  It was very entertaining.  This night was definitely something that I needed, and I am really looking forward to becoming good friends with these women for the remainder of the time that we live here.  Thanks ladies for the wonderful time!  A special thank you to my wonderful husband who not only drove me and picked me up, but took care of Johnny and was very supportive. :)


(Paige bowling)

(All of us at the end!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you Jess! I am happy that you got to go out, loosen up and spend some girl time. I know it must be very hard not knowing people and not having any family around. It is important as a mother that you also have time for "you". Thank you John for being a GREAT and supportive husband! Love to all, Mom

Konstance said...

I had such a great time! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and I can't wait for you to come to another MNO or playdate, which ever comes first :) Can you email me the pic of me and you? It won't let me save or copy it from your post. My email is konstanceoliver (at) yahoo