Friday, July 2, 2010

Flashback Friday: Fourth of July

I am participating in another Flashback Friday.  If you would like to participate or visit the host of this awesome weekly event, then go on over to Christopher and Tia. :)

The 4th of July is my favorite holiday.  It has been for a long time and for the longest time I couldn't put into words why.  I love Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter too, and I wouldn't say that the 4th of July is too much in the lead, but it is in the lead nonetheless. For me, I love holidays that involve family and coming together.  If I could choose a close second favorite holiday, it would be Thanksgiving - it combines family, good food, and autumn (all favorites of mine).  I love Easter and Christmas for the religious traditions, family, and giving gifts to family and friends.  But I've always really loved the 4th of July.  It is the family and friends, the weather, the fireworks, the BBQ food, the desserts, the colors, the summer activities like camping and swimming, etc.  All of it culminates into a holiday that I really love.  A couple months ago I thought that we were going to have to do 4th of July alone here in  Denver, which really bummed me out.  It isn't as fun without family and friends to celebrate with, and we live in an apartment so we have no yard to really have a BBQ or enjoy the holiday.  However, since I've made really good friends here in Denver over the past few months, we aren't really alone here in Denver anymore.  And my good friend Jen was kind enough to invite us to a BBQ at her house with some of our other friends and their families.  I'm very excited!  So, here is a Flashback Friday of the past three 4th of July holidays - all the ones we've celebrated while married and Johnny has been part of all three (he was in utero for the first one).  Here's hoping that this year's 4th of July is just a incredible as the past holidays! :)

***

July 4, 2007

This was our first 4th of July as a married couple (we were married in mid-July 2006) and I was hugely pregnant with Johnny (he was born at the end of July).  One of our good friends from high school - John - and his family throw a huge 4th of July gathering every year, complete with fireworks, a BBQ, and tons of desserts.  It is always a lot of fun and we attended it this year.  I do remember getting eaten alive by mosquitoes and rubbing my huge belly while I watched them set off fireworks.  

 




July 4, 2008

This was Johnny's first 4th of July celebration out of the womb!  We celebrated with my mom's side of the family at my grandparents' house.  It was a laid back BBQ with desserts while we watched the fireworks that other families set off in the little town where my grandparents live.  I made a Flag Pie (blueberry and cherry filling with stars and stripes pastry topping) and it was a huge hit! :) The only problem was that I didn't make enough pastry so the edges of the crust were really crumbly and as a result burnt a little bit.  But that was my first time making a pie, so hopefully it will be a little better this time around.  I'm planning to make it again this weekend for 4th of July.  Johnny had fun with his family and swimming in a kiddie pool with his cousins Ivy and Olive. 
















July 4, 2009

We spent this 4th of July holiday at my parents' new house with family and friends from both sides of my family.  It was a laid back party with a BBQ, desserts, sprinklers for the kids, watching fireworks from the back porch, and lots of laughter.  Johnny really enjoyed eating his weight in watermelon, running through the sprinklers, and watching the fireworks with us.  It was a lot of fun! 


 


















From our family to yours: we hope you all have a fantastic and safe 4th of July this year!  Enjoy your family, our country, our freedom, and please use fireworks responsibly and don't drink and drive. :)

2 comments:

Tia Colleen said...

This is my favorite flashback that you've done so far! so many great pictures. And how in the heck did you get a decent picture of fireworks? I'm TERRIBLE at doing that.

soul_searching_mama said...

Tia: I do not remember how I got a good picture of the fireworks, unfortunately. If I remember, I will let you know! :)