Sunday, July 18, 2010

Weekend in the Heat

This weekend has been HOT!  Yesterday it hit triple digits, which was horrible and unbearable, but on top of that we get more direct sun here in the mile high city, so you feel like you're sitting next to the sun. Let me tell you, sitting next to the sun is never comfortable.  Unfortunately we already had plans to go and check out an annual Kidspree event in Aurora yesterday before John left for work, so we had to endure the heat for a little bit.  We got there a little before noon and it felt like we were basically melting or boiling under our skin.  All of us were sweaty and lethargic because of the heat and there was no shade at the park.  The event wasn't as fun as other kid events we've been to, but there were some things that were fun.  And it was free, which is always great in our book!  Mostly the games and events were for older children, so Johnny wasn't able to do much there.  I think he was more interested in moving as little as possible anyway due to the heat.  We did get Johnny an ice cream cone while we were there - a treat and a necessity, considering the heat.  He pretty much devoured it without blinking and didn't even care when he got ice cream all over his hands and clothes and face (usually he freaks out if he gets anything sticky on his hands while he's eating).  Johnny also got to play with these little play houses and slides that were set up in the only semi-shady area for the small children, which he thought was fun.  We didn't stay very long though because it was just too hot, but it was nice to get out with John and do something new.  




(For some reason pickles are a huge deal here.  You always get a pickle as a side with any sandwich you order and they always have big jars of pickles at events.)








(Yes, these are people dressed up as Star Wars characters.  To say John was excited is a huge understatement.  He was more excited about them than Johnny was about his ice cream cone, and he loves ice cream.)

(Johnny cleaned himself up after his ice cream. :))










John went to work at 3pm, so Johnny and I were on our own.  We hung out around the apartment for a little bit to cool off and then had pizza for dinner.  Pizza is usually a hit or miss with him - sometimes he's interested and will eat some and sometimes he wants nothing to do with it.  Apparently this was a night where he was very interested because he ate his weight in pizza and then some.  Probably another growth spurt, that he has all the time, it seems!  He ate his weight in organic waffles this morning too.  He's like the Hungry Little Caterpillar who eats his way through a million food items throughout the day.  After dinner we got in our pajamas...and then went to a playdate! :) 

Yes, pajamas!  We went to my friend Kristen's house for an evening playdate/movie night. My other friends Jen and Cecy were also there with their kids. This all started because all four of us have husbands who work crazy hours and usually until late at night, so instead of all of us spending the evenings alone we thought we'd arrange a fun playdate for once too.  I brought over Toy Story and Toy Story 2 for all the kids to watch.  Of course they all loved them. :) I also brought organic popcorn and a big tub of chocolate ice cream.  There were plenty of other snacks and drinks there too.  All the kids looked cute in their pajamas and the moms enjoyed lounging around in theirs as well! Not surprisingly the kids were a little too energetic to lay down on the air mattress and watch the movies (and ideally fall asleep), so it was a bunch of kids playing and running around and watching the movies.  Definitely exhausting for all of us right before bedtime!  I felt bad for Kristen because her oldest Brayden was sick with a fever and didn't feel well, but it might just be teething because he seems to feel better today.  I hope he feels better soon and none of the other kids end up sick too.  All the kids had a really fun time and I hope we can do this again sometime soon! :)  We even got home at the exact same time as John, so he was able to help me carry up our passed out son up the stairs.

(This kid loves loves loves waffles.)

(What was left of the pizza that he devoured.)


(Lucas was showing Johnny how to play his Toy Story 3 game.)



(The air mattress was a hit with the kiddos.)




(Parker tackled the cat.)




(Organic lollipop!)

(Toy Story!)





(The kids enjoying ice cream.)




(Making the house pitch black to watch movies didn't make the kids any more inclined to sleep or lay down and watch it.)





Today after mass, we went swimming in our apartment pool for the first time.  I wish we had gone swimming in it way earlier this summer!  I think the reason we hadn't checked it out sooner is that it is usually packed with a ton of people and we weren't sure if Johnny would like the pool.  He has only been swimming in a pool (not counting kid pools) one other time and that was way back when he was 11 months old.  Apparently we were worrying about something we didn't need to because he loved it!  As soon as he saw the pool he tried to break away from us and go running into it (thankfully we were one step ahead of him).  Once John took him into the pool, Johnny started kicking and splashing and giggling.  All three of us had a lot of fun swimming around for about an hour and cooling off.  Luckily there were only a couple other people in the pool, so it wasn't crowded.  My son is definitely a water baby - he loves to drink water, have baths, and play in any form of water, whether it be fountains or pools or even puddle jumping. :)

Johnny really wanted to swim around like me and kept trying to kick his way out of his dad's arms to swim after me, but he still doesn't understand that he can't swim by himself.  We tried to familiarize him with being on his belly in the water and floating, but he was trying so hard to kick and splash that it was pretty difficult.  Perhaps after the excitement of the pool wears off after a few times, he'll be more willing to cooperate.  He definitely has the enthusiasm to learn how to swim!  :)  I think I'm going to look into swim lessons for him at one of the local Rec centers here this winter or next spring so he'll be started in swim lessons for the summer.  Then we'll put him in more swim lessons next summer wherever we move to, so that he can start learning to swim.  I think 3 or 4 is a good age for him to learn to swim; he'll probably be more receptive to learning.  I didn't take swim lessons until I was between the ages of eight to ten and while I can swim now and I'm not terrified of the water, I'm not a strong swimmer.  I want Johnny to be a strong swimmer, so those are my plans. 











(Our eyes are closed in a lot of these photos because Johnny kept splashing the chlorine water in our eyes)

After having fun in the pool (Johnny had a MELTDOWN when we left the pool) and showers, we made our Bruchi's chicken sandwiches for lunch before John had to go to work.  They were delicious!  John had to go to work again this afternoon, so it was just Johnny and I again.  We did take a nap together which was wonderful!  I think all the swimming this morning made us really tired.  Johnny and I have spent the rest of the evening playing and hanging out together. Kind of a relaxing day, but a good one. :) It is actually really nice to have a pool at our apartment to cool off in - I'm hoping to go back there a lot more this summer before it gets too cold to use the pool.  Especially since it is absolutely free fun, because we don't even have to drive anywhere and use any gas.  This week is going to be a very busy week for me since I have a bunch of birthday party activities to complete for Johnny's birthday party on Saturday.  Wish me luck! :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved the pajama party, and I am glad you are taking advantage of the pool. Can't say that the HOT outing the three of you went to looked very exciting. But I don't deal well with heat over 80 degrees. Love you, Mom

soul_searching_mama said...

I don't deal well with heat over 80 degrees either.

Heather said...

I love the PJ party idea!! :)