Monday, May 17, 2010

My parents are in town! Part 1

 Friday, Saturday, & Sunday

It has been a long few days since Thursday.  On Thursday I was at the end of my cold and feeling a lot better and then Friday I woke up with a horrible sore throat and as the day progressed I developed a fever and it became increasingly difficult to swallow.  My parents were literally on their way down to Denver in their car while all this was happening.  Then, roughly 30 minutes before they arrived on Friday evening, I took a flashlight and looked inside my throat and I had developed white spots on my throat. Lovely.  My timing is impeccable really.  Now, I realize that about 85% of the time, white spots are associated with a cold or viral respiratory cold, but 15% of the time it is associated with strep throat.  For me, 100% of the time it is associated with strep throat.  When I was in middle school and high school I would get it at least once a year and it was always accompanied by white bumps.  My parents arrived and I kept my distance.  Then Saturday morning John took me to the doctor while my parents watched Johnny, and sure enough, I have strep throat!  The doctor told me that it was likely because strep bacteria is opportunistic and will take advantage of you when your immune system is weakened from another illness, which is why it developed at the tail end of my cold.  He also told me that I was dehydrated from my fever, which was causing me to vomit in addition to the strep throat (just in case you were wondering, strep throat + vomiting = WORST PAIN EVER. 


Johnny has a chore now - he helps load the dryer and sometimes the washer.  He is very proud of his job. :)


He loves his monkey doll.


Johnny inside a small box


My parents had just arrived and they were already giving Johnny gifts.


Johnny and his best friend. :)




He was having fun throwing balloons at grandma. Heehee


Saturday was basically spent at our apartment because I was feverish and had body aches and could barely talk because it hurt so bad in my throat and inner ears.  Luckily I have really awesome parents and they were fine just hanging out with us and playing with Johnny in the apartment while I healed.  I've been on antibiotics since I went to the doctor's office Saturday morning and I've been alternating Ibuprofen & Tylenol like the doctor advised me to do, and I'm already feeling a lot better.  I got a good night's rest and I've been staying hydrated.  Sunday morning when I woke up, I wasn't feverish anymore and my throat was feeling a whole lot better (I could actually swallow without crying) and I had a lot more energy, plus since I had been on antibiotics I was nearing the end of being contagious.  So, I went out with my parents and Johnny while John was at work.  I'm glad I did! :)  I just hope that I continue to feel better and that none of the rest of the family gets strep throat - especially Johnny.  

Johnny and grandma reading books in the morning


Sunday afternoon we drove to Boulder and walked around enjoying the warm weather and looking at all of the tents and booths on the Pearl Street Mall.  Johnny had a lot of fun looking at all of the musicians, artists, etc.  It was very crowded, but enjoyable.  We ended up eating lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, which was good but we had to wait forever for our food and Johnny ended up crying and had to be held for the rest of the meal.  After lunch we walked around some more and looked at other booths.  Johnny got a panda balloon animal that he loves and I bought him some knit animal finger puppets from a Tibetan store.  :)  

On the way to Boulder



A really awesome painting I liked in a booth - it was $1700 though.


Awwww...holding hands. :)


Stop and smell the tulips!






The Cheesecake Factory




A tree hugger at heart. :)



Playing in the rock play ground.






The balloon guy




One happy boy :)



Part of the crowded Pearl Street Mall area


Climbing a rock I'm not sure he was meant to climb


He was insistent.


A photo I snapped while walking to the car.


We love trees. :)


We love Boulder too! :)


Lilacs - my favorite!


After we left Boulder, we drove up Baseline Rd into the foothills and it was so beautiful!  We stopped and got some pictures and saw a ton of people hiking up into the hills, but we didn't have time nor energy to do that.  John and I are going to have to take Johnny back there soon to hike though. 





After we left the foothills we then decided to explore some more and we ended up driving from Boulder to Estes Park and let me tell you, that drive was gorgeous - I loved it! :)  The rock formations, the mountains, the streams, the trees, etc. was wonderful!  We took some pictures as we were entering Estes Park, but Johnny was asleep by then, so he wasn't in any of those pictures unfortunately.  We turned around in Estes Park and headed home, but if we had gone a couple more miles we could have seen Rocky Mountain National Park (we did see the snow-capped peaks in the distance though!).  It was a wonderful outing and I'm glad we went.  I'm happy that I was feeling well enough to go out and enjoy it. 

He kept kicking this up and down - it was annoying.


But he's cute.


Cute, but troublesome. :)









There were chipmunks everywhere on the little pull off when we first entered Estes Park


My converse are rugged and go everywhere









Johnny sleeping on the way home - this is why he wasn't in any photos at Estes Park





The knitted finger puppets I bought Johnny





We're thinking of going back to Estes Park and looking around and then checking out Rocky Mountain National Park Monday.  John has school all day and then works, so he won't be able to come with us.  Tuesday he has the day off, so we're planning to go to the Aquarium and then eat at Bubba Gump for lunch or dinner.  Luckily, my parents were able to stay longer than they initially thought - they are leaving early Wednesday morning instead of Monday morning. :)  Johnny is loving his time with his grandma and papa - and getting spoiled too!  As if he didn't already have plenty of toys, he was given some more.  No use protesting, they love to spoil him!  John's been such a wonderful help and has taken over cooking duties since I'm sick.  We had pizza Friday night, homemade vegetarian lasagna Saturday night, and salsa chicken tacos Sunday night.  He's even made breakfast for us - bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and fruit Saturday morning and whole wheat organic waffles with fruit on Sunday.  I love my husband more than anything and I really appreciate how much he is helping while I am sick.  I know he enjoys cooking and he loves my family, so he doesn't mind, but I just want to give him credit. :)  More photos and stories to come in the next few days! :)

1 comment:

Tia Colleen said...

Loading the laundry is one of Eleanore's very most favorite chores (thank goodness, but we'll see how long it lasts). I bet her and johnny would go nuts together. We could pass all the dirty socks their way, hee hee.

I'm so sorry you've been sick. Its so much harder being sick when you've got little ones to chase after. Poor thing.

And OH I love the finger puppets. Eleanore has some similar ones, but they've somehow all gotten lost in the toy madness of our house.

I loved all the pictures!
And I love your new banner! :)