Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Birthday Uncle Mike!

(My Uncle Mike & Johnny - 4th of July 2008)

Today is my uncle Mike's birthday! Happy Birthday!!!!  I hope you had a really great day - and got cake. :)  

My uncle Mike and my dad were best friends growing up during their middle and high school years, and that was how my dad met my mom and fell in love with her.  Yep, my parents were the cliche of the older brother's best friend falling in love with the younger sister (but they are still happily married 23 - almost 24 - years later). :)  My uncle sported a pretty cool white guy afro in high school (hee hee) and ended up joining the army with my dad on the buddy system after high school (what a joke - you go in with your buddy, but they don't keep you together).  My uncle eventually ended up in the air force and has been in air force reserves for a long time.  He was stationed in Kuwait when I was in high school and then he went and served in Iraq only a couple of years ago.  My uncle has been part of my life for as long as I can remember - there are tons of pictures of him playing with me as a baby or a toddler (which I really should have uploaded for this post, but I didn't).  As long as I can remember, he has been a positive influence in my life.  He is a really good person and cares a great deal about family and friends.  He is one of the most organized people I have ever met (and I tend to think of myself as organized) and we always have really genuine and interesting conversations when we see each other.  He lives a few hours away from family right now, but visits every couple of months or so - usually for reserves.  He has a very beautiful and very smart daughter - Vivien - and he is a terrific dad. :) He works for a prison as a corrections officer and I can tell that he genuinely tries to help influence the people that come through to change their lives.  Mike is really into outdoor activities: hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, etc.  I grew up looking up to my uncle and being awed by how compassionate and intelligent he was, and I continue to be inspired by him.  I love him very much and I hope that he had a great birthday like he deserves.  I'm sure all of the family agrees that he is an awesome uncle/son/brother/dad/friend and we all send our love to him on his special day!! :)  

Looking forward to seeing you again soon!!  Love you & Happy Birthday!!! :)

***{And just in case you missed it, I posted another blog post before this one that has updates from the past week and a half - so be sure to check that one out too after you read this post.}***

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked the Birthday post for Michael. I got to spend last Tuesday with Mike. He came up and we went shopping, to dinner and then he came over and visited. It was wonderful! I haven't got to spend much time with him in quite awhile, so it was nice to spend that time with him. Love, Mom

soul_searching_mama said...

I'm glad you got to spend time with him too! :)