Saturday, October 17, 2009

Flashback Friday...er, Saturday

I realize that I have neglected my blog for the past nine days...our house has seen colds, catch-up cleaning (from being sick), cold spells followed by hot spells, a skunk that sprayed outside of our apartment building & wafted inside our open screen door (lucky us) and clung to our (apparently) porous son for a day despite multiple baths, as well as John starting his new job this week leaving Johnny & I together without him most of the time.   I just haven't had much time nor inspiration to write a blog post, and I apologize.  I know there are those back home that look forward to reading what we have been up to here in Denver.  Blog posts will hopefully be pretty regular again.

We were going to go to another pumpkin patch for a Pumpkin Festival today but in the end decided we didn't want to drive that far nor spend that much money to go to a pumpkin patch when we already got Johnny a pumpkin a couple of weekends back.  So, we decided to get some things done around the house today and maybe make some autumn/Halloween themed cookies & maybe some caramel apples.  :)  Tomorrow we are hoping to go to a park and take some autumn pictures like last year & maybe visit the Mother Cabrini Shrine which we have read is pretty spectacular.  We will keep you updated if we do anything worth noting. :)

Since I missed the last two Flashback Fridays, I decided to sort of make up for it by posting a Flashback Friday today...Saturday...(try not to get confused).  Since I missed two Flashback Fridays I will post a two-fold flashback.  Happy?!

Flashback #1: 

Since Halloween is in only a couple of weeks, I thought I would do a Halloween costume flashback.

Johnny's first Halloween in '07 came when he was only 3 months old (and one day).  He was a pea pod and quite adorable, if I might add. :) John had to work Halloween night, so it was just Johnny and me.  Since he was so young and it was just going to be me (and it was really cold out), I decided that our "trick or treating" would be to take Johnny in his costume to my mom and great-aunt's work (John ended up working there 7 months later) to see everyone.  The work is a state agency and a lot of the people who work there will decorate their cubicles and bring candy and then family members will bring children and they can "trick or treat" throughout the day.  My grandma (mom's mom) came with us.  We met my cousin's wife and her two little girls there.  Everybody at my mom's work thought Johnny was adorable in his little pea pod costume and for many of her co-workers this was their first time meeting Johnny.  After we went trick or treating at my mom's work, Johnny & I went to John's work to visit him and show him Johnny in his costume.  We also visited the in-laws so they could see Johnny in his costume; we only stayed for a couple of minutes.  We had plans to visit my other grandparents (dad's parents) since they lived near the in-laws but Johnny was getting grumpy having to get in and out of his costume so he could get in and out of his car seat, and I wasn't feeling very well, so we ended up going home.  My mom came over to help me watch Johnny and hand out candy since I wasn't feeling very well.




Johnny was a dinosaur for his 2nd Halloween in '08.  He had just learned how to walk and ended up trying to follow me up some stairs in his costume (I was getting our camera upstairs thought he was downstairs with his daddy) and ended up rolling down the stairs in his costume and smacked his head on some tile at the bottom of the stairs.  It was the scariest moment for me because I was at the top of the stairs and watched him fall in slow-motion down the stairs and smack his head.  It was like I was in slow motion too and couldn't get to him in time.  When I got to the bottom of the stairs I scooped him up and he had a huge knot on his forehead.  He had hit really hard so we took him to the emergency room (we didn't know what else to do).  He ended up being fine--no concussion or anything--and we were able to go home.  Unfortunately Johnny wasn't able to go trick or treating since he fell down the stairs right before we were about to head out.  He was adorable in his dinosaur costume though! :)


ROAR!
 
(The picture above was made by my cousin's wife Misty last year for me)

This year he is going to be a lion, which is his favorite animal.  We are hoping that this year's Halloween will be a lot safer and more fun for him.  It will be his first time actually trick or treating. :)  My dad will be flying to Denver from WA to spend the weekend with us so it will be fun to have him with us when we go trick or treating with Johnny.  Especially since my dad ("papa") & Johnny are VERY close--best buds, in fact. :) We are planning on using Johnny's red wagon to transport him from house to house. 

Flashback #2

This flashback is of our autumn pictures from 2008.  Last year we went to the Finch Arboretum in October (it was down the hill from our house) for some autumn pictures of Johnny.  It was very beautiful with all of the autumn-colored leaves.  We got some really incredible pictures of Johnny and we're hoping to do the same this year in Denver (hopefully tomorrow).  Here are the pictures we took last year. :) Enjoy!



 
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 

HAPPY AUTUMN!

No comments: